August 29, 2022
Call for Artists DesignTO 2023
Call for Proposals
Art Installations for DesignTO Festival • January 20 – 29, 2023
11:59pm, Friday, September 23, 2022
The Yonge + St. Clair BIA is seeking proposals for art installations as part of the 2023 DesignTO Festival – the largest cultural celebration of design in Canada with over 100 exhibitions and events forming Toronto’s design week. The Yonge + St. Clair BIA welcomes visual artists, sculptors, designers, architects, and others to submit proposals of all mediums. The Yonge + St. Clair BIA is seeking medium to large-scale pieces to be displayed in the installation exhibit areas.
10 days • January 20 – 29, 2023
- 2 St. Clair W, Lobby – 1 piece (Location image)
- 12 St. Clair E Concourse – 1 piece (Preference for a hanging installation: See location image)
- 40 St. Clair W, Lobby – 1 piece (Location image)Power supply, or additional operational and infrastructure assistance may be provided on-site at the discretion of the review panel.
These sites are deemed accessible in terms of accessibility features.
Artists will receive a $3000-$5000 budget per installation piece (includes artist fee and the cost of supplies/materials) to support the production of their piece. If you are submitting existing pieces, the budget is still valid. A brief artist bio will be displayed with the works.
TO NOTE: Applicants can submit proposal for multiple exhibit areas, however, it is not guaranteed that the panel will select all works together. The panel may only select 1 of your submitted pieces.
+ Artists are responsible for arranging their own General Liability Insurance
+ Submit pieces separate and specifically for each installation area
+ Pieces must fill all spaces appropriately
+ Artists retain ownership of their work after the exhibition period
+ Large scale pieces are strongly encouraged
+ Artist must handle all associated costs for installation and de-installation
+ Preference given to a hanging installation for 12 St. Clair E
Preference may be given to artists who are available in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area.
Applicants are encouraged to independently visit the installation exhibit locations during publicly accessible hours. Office lobbies are open to the public Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm, and 12 St. Clair E, 10AM – 8PM.
Please submit any inquiries regarding site details to email@example.com
September 23, 2022 – Proposals due
September 30, 2022 – Artist is selected
January 18-19, 2023 – Installation period
January 29, 2023 – Last day of exhibit
Proposal Package Requirements
* To be delivered via DropBox link or email to firstname.lastname@example.org // Subject line: DesignTO Festival – Art Proposal
- Cover Letter: including your name, telephone number, email, project title, and 100-word artist bio.
- Proposal and Budget: renderings/sketches of the proposed pieces. If the pieces are already produced, dimensions and high-resolution photos of the works are required.
- Current Resume: include prior relevant education, work experience, exhibition history, and awards.
We look forward to your ideas and proposals!
Submit Your Proposal to email@example.com. Deadline September 23, 2022.